In this section
Our Cancer Council Helpline is a service for all Queenslanders.
Cancer Council Queensland's Helpline is a telephone based support and information service providing advice, information and access to Cancer Council Queensland community services. The Helpline is staffed by health care professionals from a range of backgrounds, all of whom are experienced in cancer care and support. You can call our Cancer Council Helpline on 13 11 20 Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm.
By calling 131120 you can access these services
- Free professional counseling services
- Free peer support programs Breast Cancer Support Service and Cancer Connect
- Assistance with decision support around diagnosis, treatment and care
- Free supply of publications related to cancer diagnosis, treatment and care
- Advice and information about cancer related services
- Advice and information about cancer related support
- Emotional support
- Affordable and subsidized accommodation when treatment is away from home
- Cancer Council Queensland programs such as c-vivor
- Assistance with transport costs associated with treatment
- Advice and information about health promotion and disease prevention
- Information about support groups related to different cancers and needs
- Information about applications for Cancer Council Queensland grants and scholarships for Health Care Professionals and the general public.
Richard and Maeve's Story
Maeve was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year and called the Helpline looking for some assistance. We were able to help her with:
- Peer Support – we referred her to the Breast Cancer Support Service.
- Counselling – Richard and Maeve both had counselling with our Cancer Counselling Service.
- Financial Assistance - Richard and Maeve needed to travel to Brisbane for Maeve’s Treatment and we were able to arrange to help them with the cost of their accommodation.
- Wig and Turban Service - Maeve lost her hair as a result of chemotherapy and we were able to loan her a wig and send her a turban to wear during treatment.
- Information and Support - Maeve wanted some information on chemotherapy, radiation therapy and how to access a breast prosthesis following her mastectomy. We sent her some information and talked through what to expect during these treatments. We also sent her a temporary prosthesis and explained about the Medicare scheme for purchasing a permanent prosthesis.
These services can be provided due to the tireless work of our fundraisers and branches in raising funds.
Just remember to call 13 11 20 Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm
TIP: When calling the Helpline from your mobile, we encourage you to provide your Helpline operator with your phone number so that they can call you straight back.
This way, you can feel comfortable to chat to your trained Helpline operator without having to worry about adding to your telephone bill.